Mineral and bone disorder can cause you to have:
- Itchy skin
- Bone pain
- Weak bones that break easily
- Blocked blood vessels
- Heart problems
- Nerve problems
- Difficulty fighting off germs
How do I know if I have mineral and bone disorder?
- You will have blood tests to check your blood levels of calcium, phosphorus, PTH, and vitamin D. These levels are important markers for Mineral & Bone Disorder and once you have started dialysis, will be done on a monthly basis
- Your doctor may order a Bone biopsy. A bone biopsy is a procedure that removes a piece of bone tissue for examination with a microscope. This test shows whether a person’s bone cells are building normal bones.
- Your healthcare provider may order an X-Ray which can show if there is extra calcium in the blood vessels.